After upgrading to new Windows 10, you may be having problems while accessing attachments. When you try to open Office documents attached to Outlook messages error messages stating that the file is corrupt or there is an error occurs. The error message looks like this:
If accessing Excel file: “This file is corrupt and cannot be opened”
While accessing Word file: “Word experienced an error trying to open the file”
While accessing PowerPoint File: “The application was unable to start correctly” or “PowerPoint found a problem with <name of file>” or ”Sorry, PowerPoint can’t read <name of file>”
In this article i will let you know how to fix email attachment not opening error in Windows 10. The attachments which was working fine before upgrading to Windows 10 is now returning errors, don’t worry as there are no errors in your emails only there is some problem with file permissions. Outlook is opening these files in Protected View which is enabled by default.
You can disable protected view to fix this problem but it is not recommended as Virus or Trojan infected documents can run code easily.
To Fix file permissions Follow the steps:
- Right click onStart and Select Command Prompt(Admin)
- Copy this command“%programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15” /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(CI)RX
- Now paste the command in command prompt.
- Press Enter
This will fix the permission issue, If you are still having errors you have to run Online Office Repair, To do so follow the steps mentioned below:
- Right click on Start then SelectPrograms and Features
- Select Microsoft Office install Now select Change
- Select Online Repair then click Repair to begin.