Last updated on February 12th, 2019 at 02:12 am
Outlook for MAC is the email application used in Macintosh system for sending and receiving emails. It is provided by Microsoft and very much similar to MS Outlook for Windows. The only difference is the data file used to store emails and other user information. While MS Outlook for Windows uses PST file Outlook for MAC use OLM file to store information. So if you want to access Mac emails on Windows platform you need to export outlook Mac emails to outlook pst format or convert Outlook for MAC emails to Outlook for Windows PST format.
The other important thing is that you can import PST file to Outlook for MAC but you can’t import OLM files to Outlook for Windows directly. I don’t understand why Microsoft don’t provide such an important feature but don’t worry there are some manual methods which allows OLM files to be imported to Outlook for Windows.
Why there is need to convert OLM to PST
Imagine a situation when in your office or at home you were using Mac system from years and now you switch to Windows based system what will you do with your emails then? The answer is simple you need to transfer your emails to Outlook for Windows. In this article I will let you how to transfer emails from Outlook for Mac to Windows system in detail.
Step 1: Setup IMAP account
The first step is t create a IMAP account I am using Gmail here
- Open Gmail
- Click on Gear icon on right hand side
- Click Settings
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Check IMAP Access status, enable IMAP
Step 2: Add IMAP mail account to Outlook for Mac
- Open Outlook for Mac .
- Click Menu >Tools > Accounts.
- Now Click Email.
- Enter Email address, Password and other information. Click on Add Account
- The IMAP mail account is now added you can check it in Mail tab the new account will be listed here.
Step 3: Create Gmail Label
Now you have to create a label in Gmail
- Open your Gmail account.
- Click on Settings
- Select Labels
- Click on Create New Label. Also make sure Show in IMAP box is checked.
- Now to go to your Mac Outlook and click on Send/Receive
Step :4 Move emails from Mac Outlook to IMAP mailbox?
It is the main part of this process in which your emails and other mailbox data of an OLM file will be moved or transferred to your IMAP mailbox. Follow the steps shown below:
- Open Outlook for Mac
- Right click on mailbox item which you want to transfer to Outlook for Windows.
- Now Select Move > Copy to Folder.
- Now you need to type the name of your IMAP folder and click on Copy.
- Once the copy is finished you need to update mailbox by clicking Send/Receive Or you can do the same by refreshing the folder on Gmail.
- Now all the copied mailbox data have been synchronized to the IMAP mailbox folder.
Third Party Options
If you want to convert multiple OLM file and don’t have enough time to convert each and every OLM file seprately than only you require third party OLM to PST Converter which will make your task look simpler and with in no time you will get PST version of OLM files. Here are the links to some good OLM to PST Tools available: