Outlook is a vast application in itself and is composed of various utilities. These utilities co-ordinate among themselves to give best Outlook performance. But if a single tool fails then it affects the whole Outlook application. While working on Outlook users often encounter an error message ‘Cannot copy or move messages to public folders’. Thus it stops the user from accessing Outlook tools and makes it difficult to perform any action.
When a user copy or move a message from Outlook inbox folder to a public folder it displays the error message ‘Outlook can’t move the items, The item could not be moved’. Sometimes, the message is displayed as ‘Could not make another copy of item’ or ‘You don’t have permission to create an entry in this folder’. These messages could be resolved by changing the permissions.
Fix ‘Cannot copy or move messages to Public folder’ Error
These errors can be resolved easily be following steps
- Start the Exchange System Manager and go to the Folders object
- Under the folders, right click on the Public folders object, now select the option ‘Properties’
- A new dialog box will open, click on the security tab
- Click the everyone group and move to the section to de-select Deny check box for the permissions
- Create Public Folder
- Create a top-level public folder
- Create named properties in the information store
- When the following options are de-selected, click on Apply
- Finally, click on OK and close the properties box.
- Restart outlook and try to move messages from inbox to public folder
- The message will no longer appear and the error will be resolved.
Another easy method to resolve Outlook can’t copy the items is using the Scanpst.exe tool. There might be some few bugs that preventing the operation in Outlook. Scanpst.exe will repair these errors. Creating a new PST file could also solve the problem.
But, if nothing works out then the only option left is using PST repair tool. An easy to use software, this tool efficiently repairs the outlook PST file and remove errors. Recover, repair Outlook PST file and split large PST in multiple files to avoid errors in future. Download the Outlook PST Repair software to fix all Outlook errors.