Affiliate Disclosure: Some links mentioned below are affiliate links, we may earn some amount if you make a purchase.
Outlook now is not only a medium of email communication but it is also used to share events with calendar features, organize tasks, maintain our contacts, and much more. With so many features there also comes the complexity of an application and with complexity comes unintended errors. Some time users themselves interfere with file structures, change directories and therefore it creates a problem with Outlook. One of these problems is when Outlook Keeps Prompting for Password. It’s really very annoying with an application that is used mostly in your work hours. Here is a solution to how to fix Outlook Password Prompt issue.
Causes of Outlook Password Prompt Issue
The main issue is with the MS Exchange settings, the Logon network security setting is different from what is required. The settings in the security tab should be set to Anonymous Authentication. This problem mainly occurs in an earlier version of Outlook other than 2016 and 2013. There are many other reasons which lead to Outlook asking for password again and again a few of them are as follow:
- Wrong Outlook Security Settings
- Outlook Prompts for Password Each Time you Log In
- Incorrect Outlook password stored by the Credential Manager
- Corrupt Outlook Profile
Below we will let you know about the various steps to resolve each one of the above errors one by one.
1. Steps to Change Outlook Security settings are given below:
- Click on Show profile option and select your Outlook Profile
- Click on Properties and then E-mail Accounts>>Change
- The Change Account dialog box will open, go to More Settings option
- The Microsoft Exchange Dialog box will open Move to Security tab
- In the Login network security list, select the Anonymous Authentication option and then click OK.
- Finally, Click on Finish and Close the dialog boxes.
- Now Restart Outlook
The problem will be resolved and you can work without the Outlook Password prompt.
2. Disable Outlook Password Prompt For Each Log In
If the user has enabled User Identification settings for Outlook, it will keep asking for a password. So, disable these settings and work in Outlook without interruptions
- Open Outlook and sign in to your account
- Now click on File and then Account Settings and then again Account Settings
- Select the Exchange account and click on ‘Change Button’
- Click on More Settings button and a new box will open, Now click on the Security tab
- Go to User Identification and uncheck ‘Always prompt for logon credentials.’
- Click OK to save changes
3. Remove Outlook Login Details from Credential Manager
- Remove the previously stored or old Outlook credentials by following steps
- Go to Start and click on Control Panel
- From Control Panel find the Credential Manager
- The list of applications with credential sets will open, click on the Outlook sets
- Expand the menu and click Remove from the vault
- Do the same with Credential sets having Outlook in the name.
The problem occurs due to Network Security settings. If the same happens in Outlook 2016 and 2013 then you can use the Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) tool to troubleshoot problems with this version.
This diagnostic does automated checks and returns possible solutions for you to use to try to fix any detected issues.
4. Corrupt Outlook Profile
When Outlook profile is corrupt then also the Outlook password prompt error may arise, So to resolve the error you can create a new profile in Outlook.
Open Outlook, Now select File > Account Settings > Manage Profiles
Click on Show Profiles > Add
Now in the Profile Name box, type a name for the profile, and then choose OK.
By the above methods, you can fix the Outlook password prompt issue free, but if you have forgotten your Outlook password you can take the help of third-party Outlook Password Recovery tool from Stellar.
Remove Outlook Password with Stellar Outlook Password Recovery
- Download the software from below link
- Click the software icon in your computer
- Once the software starts, on Home screen, you will see the option to add PST