Affiliate Disclosure: Some links available on this website are affiliate links, so whenever you click on the link and buy the product we get a share of the sale.
Hosts files are generally the type of files that deals with networking. If you have a problem in accessing a particular website or webpage it might be because it is blocked in hosts file. Hosts File are easy to find and edit, however sometime users can’t find and edit Hosts files in windows 10/ 8 and earlier versions. Here we will learn how to edit a Hosts File
Before editing, one must first learn how to find the host’s file or know where these files are stored by Windows operating system. To edit and find these files the user should have administrator rights of the computer. The syntax for hosts file is nearly same for all platforms i.e. Windows, linux, Mac, however proper attention should be taken while editing a hosts file
Hosts File Syntax is of three parts of which the first one is location to redirect address to, the second is address which user want to redirect and third is comment prefix by #.
How to Edit Hosts File in Windows 8/ 10
Microsoft comes with a different interface in windows 8 and it is advanced in windows 10. Applications and programs installed in windows 8 or 10 generally appears on the home screen and requires additional effort
- Open your system and then press windows icon in keyboard to view application in windows 8
- Now search for notepad and right click on it
- Select the option ‘Run as Administrator’, a dialog box will appear click yes
- Now find the Hosts file in your system
- The path of hosts file is generally c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in windows 8 and 10
- Open the file and edit it according to your need
Open Hosts File in Windows 7
- Go to Start menu and type run
- The run dialog box will appear
- Enter the following command in run window notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and click OK
- Open a sample host file and edit it
- As an example try blocking a website in your system type 0.0.0.0 and website url
- Save the file
- Now try accessing the website of which you have type the address
- The website will not open
In this way you can find, open and edit hosts file in Windows 7/ 8 and 10.