Last updated on February 12th, 2019 at 01:58 am
If you have applied password to PST file to protect it from unintended access but unfortunately you are not able to remember it now then the contents of PST will not be fetched. Microsoft Outlook don’t provide any help in retrieving a lost PST password, in such situation you can download free tool called pst19upg.exe from Here and remove password from encrypted outlook PST file.
Microsoft released pst19upg.exe freeware to upgrade PST files to work on later versions but it can also be used to remove password from the PST file. However, pst19upg.exe utility can work only on PST files created with Outlook 2002 or older versions (ANSI PST) of Outlook. Latest version of Outlook 2007 and above have UNICODE PST file, to remove password from these files you can upgrade to Outlook Password Recovery Software.
How to use pst19upg.exe and Scanpst.exe to remove password
- First you need to Close the Outlook.
- Create a Copy of the PST file as backup option so that if anything goes wrong the data can be retrieved back
- Go to Start and type CMD (Command Prompt)
- When the icon appear right click on it and select ‘Run as Administrator’
- Now on Run command type the file path to pst19up and your pst name:exe -x filename.pst and hit enter
Example “C:Users/Documentspst19upg.exe” -x outlook.pst
This will create a copy of the pst called “filename.psx” (where filename is the same name as the original pst file).
- When the process completes rename the original PST file
- At the command prompt, type exe -i filename.psx and hit enter. Remember, you need to use the full path to pst19upg.
- This process will create a password-free pst file from the psx file.
When the changes are made you have to make sure that the file is error-free, to test this use the ScanPST.Exe tool
Repair PST with ScanPST.exe
- Download and launch the scanpst.exe tool
- Click on the browse button and add the PST file,
- Click on the start button to begin scan the tool will scan PST file for any errors and report if found any
- Now click on Repair, if you want to backup files then click on browse and select the location to save backup files
- The PST file will get repaired and will be error-free.
Third Party Options
To remove password from Outlook 2003 and later version(UNICODE) pst file you need to use third party applications. There are some good PST Splitter Tools available in the market which you can have a look at by following the links below: